Monday, July 16, 2012



Screen-cast Assignment

I continue to look at the idea of flipping my chemistry classroom this upcoming school year. I have found that when I lecture in class, the students are not always able to do the problems at home. Having a library of videos online that goes over specific examples, would be extremely helpful to the students when they are at home working on homework. This would also allow students who are absent due to sickness or athletic events to stay up-to-date on the material (which was a huge problem of mine last year). Plus, this might free up more time in class to run hands-on activities.

These videos will mostly be made by my chemistry students. I think the peer to peer instruction is sometimes the best way for students learn. My hope is to continue this project for years to come, so that there is a very in-depth library built up for students to use. 

This project is still very much in its initial stages. I need to set up a class website in order to post these screencast, as well as I need to set up more defined guidelines. I really do not want to make a rubric as I feel like it will restrict the creative nature of my students. 

Here is my example assignment sheet that I will distribute to my students (again, this is just an initial draft): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Vc_PrGtP16IYMc2o5VeKK46oU0EOU0XvQB1FCouUQBM/edit

Here is my first attempt at a screencast (this definitely needs work): https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B_U6bPBXEl37ZGhsRUJlRDZvd0k 



No comments:

Post a Comment