Sunday, July 29, 2012




Collaborize Classroom

I had an introduction in using websites to connect my face-to-face instruction with online instruction this past school year. I used Edmodo in two sections of my chemistry class. I found Edmodo to be a very easy to use website and was great for posting homework assignments. It also allowed students to ask questions about their homework and sometimes (actually very rarely) a fellow student would respond. I was generally the only one responding. It was not worth a grade, so my students did not really use it much. I was really just using Edmodo as another way to get homework assignments out to my students. 

Even though I have looked around for websites to use in my class, I honestly had no idea how many different websites were available. After looking through many different websites as well as many different examples of high school science websites, I have decided to try "Collaborize Classroom". I have already set-up my website (http://demathascience.collaborizeclassroom.com), but it is password protected in order to protect the students. So, if you decided to click on my websites, you will only see a login page. 

I will be using collaborize classroom for two different functions. The first is a replacement for Edmodo. I will be posting all homework assignments on the website in one section. Then in the second section, I will use it to discuss a science question of the week. Over the last few years, I have had my students research a science question of the week. I give them the question on Friday and they have until the following Friday to report back to me on what they have learned. It has worked out very well in allowing my students to look at concepts that I do not get to cover in my "traditional" curriculum. I think the use of online discussion will allow my students to dig even deeper into the questions. I hope to even allow them to develop a few of the questions towards the end of the year. 

I am thinking about also developing a blog site, so that I can post video's for my classes. I am considering trying to flip my chemistry class. If I do this, then I am going to have to post lots of videos. I might try to do it on the Collaborize Classroom site first and see how easy it is. If it takes too much time, then I will develop a blog site. 

I am looking forward to using online discussion more in my classes. I think it will give my students another way to stay connected outside of the classroom and will build a stronger academic environment.  

No comments:

Post a Comment